try it out for yourself – we promise you’ll love it.
zero waste energy bites:
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup ground flaxseed meal
1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
1tsp vanilla extract
coconut shavings (optional)
1. in order to be the most zero waste emelie brought bulk peanuts at whole foods and processed them into peanut butter using a food processor. we find that making your own peanut butter not only is more zero waste but also tastes ten times better!
2. she then did the same with the ground flaxseed meal by buying bulk flax seeds and processing them into flaxseed meal using a food processor. (hint hint: investing in a food processor will save you money and tons of waste!)
3. mix all of the ingredients in a bowl.
4. throw it all back into the food processor to break down the oats and create more of a paste that will make for easier rolling.
5. make one inch balls and roll them in coconut shavings
6. for best results refrigerate over night and enjoy the next day!
getting the ingredients package-free:
the best part about using simple ingredients is that you can easily find them in bulk stores. the nuts, oatmeal, and flaxseeds we used can all be found at a local natural store. emelie loves visiting the bulk section of whole foods for all her ingredients. if you’re unable to find these specific ingredients, you can just as easily swap them out for different ones, like pumpkin seeds instead of nuts, chocolate chips instead of coconut shavings, and dates instead of honey or maple syrup. you can also check out package free shop for our favorite reusable bags and containers, perfect for grabbing ingredients for this recipe.
recipe by zwd team member emelie bergh. blog post contributed by sabrina katz.